Wow so we find ourselves in September, already, & the weather seems to have a harsh lesson for us this year – enough of the Summer, welcome to cold Autumn. No Indian Summer, as yet, no gentle change in temperature, no final days of golden sunshine – just plenty of rain, cold temperatures & harsh winds – great!!!!
This time of year relates to the Earth energy, within 5 Element Diagnosis. This is part of Traditonal Chinese Medicine & is used as a form of diagnosis within Shiatsu. The Earth energy is about gathering fruit & later crops, to begin to settle down into the Autumn & to store for the Winter.
This year the energy seems different. It’s like we have missed a season & similarly have missed an Element within the 5 Elements. It feels like we have moved straight to the Metal element energy & bypassed the Earth energy. The metal energy is about letting go, about boundaries, about organisation & having things in their place.
A lot of the clients I have seen recently have been showing an imbalance with their metal energy & I have been having quite a few conversations with people who are having to let go of big things in their lives. It seems a strong energy this year to let go of things & to adapt to quite big changes. It feels like the Metal energy is insisting that we shed & move on & prepare, already, for the upcoming Winter months.
So how do we support our metal energy at this time – how do we feel alright about these changes?
- Grasp the nettle & declutter – not all of it! Just have a go at clearing out a corner in your house or sort the piles of letters you have been ignoring!
- Exercise to get going – no I’m not suggesting you start jogging or weight lifting! Wake the body in the morning – stretch the arms, open the chest, breath deeply, rub your limbs, your face & scratch your scalp. Don’t jump up & start the day, take a couple of minutes to wake the body up.
- Get out in the fresh air – breathing the, at present rather fresh, air can help balance the metal energy, as can a bit of cardio exercise. A brisk walk, not for long, to open the lungs & energise the body & mind.
- Then maybe think about what you want or need to let go of & what you really want to hold onto.
- write a list, get some clarity & focus. This can work either way, you may feel you can’t let go or you may feel you can’t hold on, you may also feel a lack of clarity of thought, you don’t really know how you feel. Try to get your ideas down on a piece of paper as a first step.
- Of course get some Shiatsu massage! Shiatsu is a safe & secure form of therapy, allowing you to feel how you feel without judgement or expectation. It can help rebalance the Metal energy in your body, removing fuzziness of thought, or fear of letting go or anxiety to hold on. It can help the flow of energy in the body which in turn helps the flow of thoughts & emotions. It provides time out from daily responsibilities & expectations, a quick breather, which can leave the client feeling relaxed but energised & ready to face the world once more!
If you have any questions about Metal energy deficiency or whether Shiatsu maybe able to support you then do get in touch – either through the ‘contact me’ page or on 07791 070837. I work in Exeter & Dawlish. I offer private client appointments but can also work in workplaces, with families & I also offer workshops.